DIY Oven Cleaner That Works!
There is nothing better than a clean oven, and yet it is one of the most neglected things in our house. Because cleaning it is always a pain in the butt.
The oven cleaners I’ve used in the past have always smelled HORRIBLE, and I can literally spend hours scraping and wiping everything down. It’s enough of an experience to put me off wanting to do it again.
Well, I’ve now found a much better, more natural way to clean the oven. By using DYC White Vinegar, the cleaner wont’ make your nose hairs curl or smell out the house when you heat the oven up. You don’t have to put lots of newspaper down OR wear gloves.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup DYC White Vinegar
- In a large bowl, make a paste by mixing 1 cup of baking soda with ¼ cup water and slowly adding ½ cup DYC White Vinegar.
- Use a spatula or rubber scraper to spread the mixture thickly over cold oven surfaces to be cleaned. Do not use on self cleaning panels.
- Pour boiling water into an ovenproof dish sitting on the oven shelf. Close the oven door.
- Turn the oven on to 100 degrees C and leave for 45 minutes.
- Turn the oven off.
- Carefully remove the water dish and discard.
- Scrape off the dried mixture using a plastic scraper or scouring pad then remove with a brush and shovel or vacuum cleaner.
- Use a scourer to clean off any residual grime.
- Wipe out with a clean cloth until there is no white residue. You can wipe with a multipurpose cleaner. The multipurpose cleaner can also be used with a scouring pad to clean oven racks and trays.
- If you have an oven warmer underneath, be sure to remove any pots, pans or trays that are there
- You can use a fish slice to help scrape the baking soda / vinegar off of the oven
This homemade cleaner did just as good a job as any chemical one could – in my personal opinion. Not suffocating from the fumes was HUGELY beneficial. I also didn’t have to wear gloves (like I stated above) or air the house out afterwards. I really was surprised by the result!
If you’re like me and want to spend less time and effort looking after your home, join the Clever Living Club. With my promo code HMHC, you’ll automatically be sent a Spring Cleaning Guide; then each month you’ll be sent tried and tested tips to save you money and time, and use fewer chemicals in your home – WIN!
Thanks to DYC for making this post possible, and making my oven cleaner!
>> G I V E A W A Y <<
The kind folks over at DYC have kindly given me five amazing prize packs to give away! Each pack contains a $50 Countdown Voucher, and a DYC spray bottle and cloth.
- LIKE Happy Mum Happy Child on Facebook
- COMMENT on this blog post telling me if you’d like to win!
- EXTRA ENTRIES can be obtained by liking / commenting back on THIS FACEBOOK POST
- Would love you to tag all of your friends, and share the post – however it is not mandatory
- All comments will be counted as extra entries
Closes 23rd September at 10pm. Normal T&C’s apply. Open to NZ residents only – sorry everyone else!