This simple sugar cookie dough is quick and easy to make, leaving plenty of time to have fun rolling, cutting and decorating …
Whether it’s for Easter, or Christmas, this simple sugar cookie recipe is extremely versatile, quick and easy to make. Ensuring there is plenty of time for cutting out and decorating.
BASIC DOUGH INGREDIENTS
- 225 grams butter (cut into cubes) or margarine
- 125 grams caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 275 grams flour (gluten free or plain)
MAKING THE DOUGH
- Add the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Next, add the egg yolk and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Finally stir in the flour and mix completely to form the dough.
- Use your hands to bring the dough together and mould it into a ball.
- Wrap up this ball, in glad-wrap, and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- While you get the rest of the activity ready.
MAKING THE BISCUITS
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and split the dough in half.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to about 0.5cm thick.
- Depending on how many children you have, put the rolled out dough onto a baking tray.
- Give the dough to your kids and let them press out the shapes!
- Place each shape onto a lined baking tray
- Once ready, bake in oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove and let them cool completely
- 100 grams Icing Sugar
- 3 teaspoons hot water
- Food colouring
ICING THE BISCUITS
- Once the biscuits are completely cooled, make your icing (using the ingredients above, one lot for each colour).
- Add the water a little at a time, to make sure you get the right consistency.
- Use a small spoon to spread the icing on the biscuits.
- Use writing icing (you can get it from the supermarket) to add details, if necessary.
- Let your kids decorate to their hearts content!