Are you coming down with a cold? Can you see your kids with a runny nose? QUICK! Act now!
Traditionally a Hot Toddy is a warm drink made of liquor and water with honey, tea and spices. Believed to relieve the symptoms of the cold and flu, the drink is often deliciously warm and soothing.
In these recipes, I’ve used Barker’s Lite Squeezed New Zealand Blackcurrant fruit syrup. Blackcurrants are chocka full of Vitamin C, and as we all know, Vitamin C is wonderful antioxidant. Blackcurrants also provide many positive effects on both the mind and body – from inhibiting the flu virus to enhancing gut health, lifting moods, and improving cognitive function.
With kids being sick, I’ll pretty much try anything to stop it from progressing any further. So I’ve put together TWO recipes. A Hot Toddy, for us parents, and a Not Toddy, for the kiddies. No need to liquor the kids up at this stage (LOL) and in all honesty, both of these are delicious – so if you’re not an alcohol drinker then the Not Toddy is PERFECT!
1/2 cup Barker’s Lite Squeezed NZ Blackcurrant fruit syrup
1/4 cup liquid honey
3 cups water
6 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 lemon – squeezed
1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 orange, sliced
LASTLY: 1/2 cup rum
1. Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to the boil.
2. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
3. During the last 30 seconds, add the rum
4. Using a soup ladle, pour the liquid into a mug or heatproof glass – you will need to use a small sieve to ensure no extra bits make it in
The Not Toddy is made the exact same was as the Hot Toddy, just leave out the alcohol! My kids absolutely loved it.
Just a couple of tips when making the drink for a child:
- If you’re serving the drink hot / warm, make sure you test it yourself first – just so it’s not too hot
- My kids loved it with a straw, so you could add one for fun
- Make sure the glass is heatproof, and perhaps wrap in a napkin so your child doesn’t get surprised at its heat
- You don’t have to serve this warm – pop it in the fridge once it’s cooled down and you can pull it out at any time
- Or add an ice cube (or two)!
Thank you to Barker’s of Geraldine for making this post possible – yep it’s a sponsored post!.