I’ve been meaning to post this for a while – a how-to for Cauliflower Rice. It’s not new, and it’s not rocket science, but I just wanted to have it here on my website for easy reference.
Cauliflower rice is great to add to any meal as a rice / grain alternative. It goes great with sauces, and you can add extra flavour by adding vegetables or herbs and spices.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1 head of cauliflower
- Bread Board (or chopping board) and knife
- Food Processor or a hand grater
PREPARING THE CAULIFLOWER:
- Wash the cauliflower and remove any leaves
- Cut away the main stem (you don’t need this) – the smaller stems, which hold the florets together, can stay.
- Cut the remaining cauliflower up into chunks, to fit in the food processor. If the pieces are too large, the processor will struggle big time … You can also grate the cauliflower with the coarser side of the grater – but you may end up with larger pieces, giving the rice a chunkier texture.
- Pulse the processor until the cauliflower is the texture of cous-cous
COOKING THE CAULIFLOWER RICE:
- Microwaving is probably the easiest, and healthiest, as you don’t need to add any oils or fats.
- Add the cauliflower rice and a teaspoon of water (no more) to a microwave-safe dish.
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes on high
- Remove from microwave and let it stand for a few minutes, as it will continue to cook and be extremely hot
Bake in Oven:
- Cooking in the oven will give you a slightly drier / crunchier rice
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Spread the cauliflower rice evenly over a lined baking tray
- Bake for 12 minutes, mixing up / turning the cauliflower rice every 5 minutes
- Remove from the oven and season to taste
Before you cook your cauliflower rice, add herbs & spices such as cumin, chilli, coriander. After cooking, you can add anything you want – leafy greens or even cooked egg!
For more Cauliflower Recipe ideas, check out my Pinterest board.