I found this Chocolate Cake recipe and HAD to try it. It’s almost 100% not mine, but I changed out the water for coffee as I find the coffee helps to add flavour to the cake.
If you don’t like the idea of coffee, simply just use 1 cup of water instead.
This recipe is dairy free (no milk, no eggs and no butter), and is often known as a Wacky Cake, or Depression Cake. Named Depression Cake because it was often made during the Great Depression when dairy was hard to come by. Instead having to make do with the items in the pantry.
You can use either regular flour, or gluten free flour and it still turns out the same.
The other amazing thing about this cake is that you only use ONE dish to make it. That’s right – not a hundred, just one!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or gluten free plain flour)
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup coffee (cold)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Combine all dry ingredients in a greased 20 x 20cm baking pan (that’s right, in the dish you’re baking it in).
- Make 3 depressions (holes) in the dry ingredients. You want there to be two small ones, and one large one.
- Pour the vinegar into one of the small holes, and the vanilla into the other small hole.
- Add the vegetable oil to the large one.
- Pour the cold coffee (or water) over the entire thing and mix until smooth and combined (I used a wooden spoon).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Once cooled, ice or lather in caramel syrup and enjoy with whipped cream.
ICING – I used this recipe from Add A Pinch for the icing. Except I made it too runny HAHA (doesn’t sound like me at all) …