MARIA FOY | HAPPY MUM HAPPY CHILD
I’ve spent many months searching for the perfect fudge recipe. The majority of the time it is the smooth, and creamy kind that I make, which isn’t what I want. Turns out what I was actually after was more of what they call a “Tablet”.
A tablet differs from fudge in that it has a brittle, grainy texture, where fudge is much softer. Well-made tablet is a medium-hard confection, not as soft as fudge, but not as hard as hard candy (taken from Wikipedia).
4 cups white sugar
¼ cup butter
1 cup milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk (1⅓ cups)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Line a 20x20cm tin (or larger depending on how thick you want the fudge)
2. Combine the sugar, butter, milk and vanilla in a large sauce pan
3. Heat, over a high heat, and bring to the boil
4. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently
5. Add the sweetened condensed milk, and continue to boil for 15 minutes, stirring frequently
6. Remove from heat and beat (I used an electric beater) until thick and creamy
7. Pour into the prepared pan
8. Let it set to room temperature, cut into squares, and then store in an airtight container
I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome – and in fact I ended up storing it in the fridge as it made it slightly harder, and less chewy. I love a good crumbly fudge!
PS this is obviously FULL of sugar and is definitely a treat or a one-off. Not going to lie – I ate a crap load of this but once I indulged, I was done with it. You know how it is haha