We have chicken two ways in our house – with a honey and soy marinade, and with a special coating which makes a crispy chicken. Both cook completely different ways, but both are amazing.
Please note I have Coeliac Disease so the flour I use is Edmond’s Gluten Free Flour. You can use whatever flour you want to (although I personally have only tried it with white flour).
You can definitely experiment with the spices, but we have predominantly used Pepper & Me’s Man Rub.
- 6 x Chicken Drumsticks (or 12 chicken nibbles or 6 chicken thighs or whatever you want)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 TBSP Pepper & Me’s Man Rub (or whatever spices you want)
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 TBSP oil
- 1 TBSP butter
ALTERNATIVES: instead of flour, and herbs; you can use any kind of crumbs with herbs as well. A favourite of ours is the Lemon & Herb crumb from Pepper & Me. Simply coat the chicken in the crumb (no flour necessary).
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line a baking tray with tin foil, and add a wire wrack over the top (see photo for explanation).
- Heat a frying pan (I have a stainless steel one) on the stove to medium-hot, add the oil and butter.
- In a plastic bag, combine the flour, spices, salt and chicken.
- Mix until the chicken is completely coated.
- Once the pan is heated, add the coated chicken (shake a little to get rid of the excess flour).
- Cook for approximately 5 mins each side, or until the chicken is crispy (not necessarily cooked in the middle).
- Transfer your semi-cooked / crispy chicken to the baking tray / wire wrack
- Cook in the oven for approximately 30 minutes