My husband is half Chinese, and when we were dating we used to eat this “egg and tomato” dish. I had no idea what it was, but it was delicious. It seemed simple, but very tasty.
When Phil and I got married, and he started showing me the things he cooked; and I got to learn about how to make it – it is easy.
Because my in-laws (his parents) are market gardeners, they grow tomatoes. So we have an abundance of them. Which means we have this dish weekly and I highly recommend it.
This recipe serves 2 people (double if you want it for 4 people).
- 2 x tablespoons olive oil
- 3 x ripe tomatoes (cut into small chunks)
- 3 x eggs (whisked together in a bowl)
- 1 x tablespoon water
- 1 x tablespoon minced garlic
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 x teaspoon sugar
- 1 x vegetable stock cube
- Cooked rice
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a non-stick pan, and heat over a medium to high heat.
- Once heated up, add the eggs and tablespoon of water, and cook as if you’re cooking scrambled eggs. Once cooked, transfer to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium, and in the pan (don’t rinse out), add another teaspoon of olive oil and add the garlic and tomatoes.
- Cook the tomatoes for 10 minutes until softened.
- Once the tomatoes are softened softened add the salt and pepper, sugar and vegetable stock cube.
- Mix and then add the cooked egg.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with cooked rice.
Remember to double the recipe if you want it for 4, and triple for 6. We use cherry tomatoes, and do a lot of them, we also use 8 eggs because of the amount of cherry tomatoes.
For rice, we usually cook around 250 grams for the 4 of us. So figure that out for whatever you’re doing.