JUST BLOODY EAT YOUR DINNER
I’ll be the first to say “if they’re hungry they’ll eat it” … but by golly is that a frustrating rule to live by.
Because my kids, especially my boy, will dig their heals in and refuse to eat what is on their plate NO MATTER how hungry they are.
- I’ve varied their diet and their meals
- I’ve made boring meals and exciting ones
- I’ve tried giving them smaller portions
- I’ve tried stopping all food at 4pm (1 hour before dinner)
- I’ve tried threatening them with punishments
- I’ve followed through on those punishments
- I’ve told them “no more food after dinner unless you eat your dinner”
- I follow through on the “no more food after dinner” thing
- I’ve offered incentives
- I’ve sacrificed myself to the food gods
- I HAVE DONE IT ALL
My boy will still not eat. However, my girl (who is the eldest) is much more eager to please; and will eventually eat her dinner.
In the end it becomes a battle of the wills. Who will win?
Well it’s always me, but at the cost of my sanity. Because by the end of dinner, I’m over it. I’m ready to throw the parenting towel in.
Tonight, I put my boy in his bedroom a total of 12 times.
Each time he would scream and yell and protest. I’d leave him in there for 2 mins, and return to get him. I’d explain that he has to eat his dinner, and he would nod (whilst sniffing) and say “Ok Mum”. I am a firm believer in letting kids know why they’re being “punished”, so we always talk about things before and after.
Not even five minutes later we would be doing the SAME thing again. Him not eating. Me getting frustrated and putting him back in his room.
And in the middle of all of this, he had the gall to say to me “I’m hungry Mum” … FUUUUUUUU
I am at my wits end!
My kids sleep better when they eat, so I honestly don’t know what to do … my boy NEEDS food.
OH and PS, ironically listed below in the “related” posts that pop up, is an old blog post of mine where I offer advice on The Secret To Getting Your Child To Eat. Well FFS I’m eating my own words now … HAHAHA
Seriously though, there was a point in time where they actually ate their food and all the shit I did worked HAHA DAMN IT!