The best thing about having a slow cooker, is throwing everything in, turning it on and forgetting about it for HOURS. Then before you know it you have a delicious meal and you practically did nothing.
Having a slow cooker in your cupboard, is a seriously smart move.
If you don’t have a slow cooker you can simply use a large stock pot and cook on a low heat.
- 1 kg mince (beef or lamb)
- 200 grams middle bacon (cut into 2-3cm pieces)
- 3 cans chopped tomatoes (400g each)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and diced)
- 2 celery sticks (diced)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- ¼ cup cornflour
- Add everything except the tomato paste, beef stock and cornflour, into your crockpot / slow cooker and stir to combine
- Add the tomato paste, beef stock and cornflour in a separate bowl and combine together.
- Add into the slow cooker and mix with the other ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours.
- If it is quite runny after this time, add 3 tablespoons water and 1 teaspoon cornflour to the mix.
- Serve with spaghetti, pasta or rice.
This is a HUGE recipe – it makes a lot. Once it has cooled down you can freeze it in batches and use with spaghetti or when you’re making lasagne!
You can also use this as pie filling, or add a bit of chilli and have it as a taco filler. Or even for nachos.
It’s very versatile!
Slow Cooker Bolognaise