I put this dish together using whatever I had in my pantry – but of course I needed it to taste sweet and sour. If you don’t want to use a slow cooker, simply cook it in a pot on the stove, covered and on low.
- 500g diced pork
- 440g can, pineapple pieces (don’t drain)
- 1 x Green Pepper (or a handful of green beans, or green vegetables of any kind really)
- 1 brown onion, quartered
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 3 TBSP Brown sugar
- ¼ cup Cider Vinegar or White Wine Vinegar
- 4 TBSP tomato sauce
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 TBSP Cornflour + 2 TBSP Water (to thicken later if necessary)
- In your slow cooker combine the pineapple juice (save the pieces for later), the brown sugar, vinegar, tomato sauce, soy sauce and 1/2 cup water.
- Stir to combine.
- Next add your pork, pineapple pieces, green pepper (or beans), brown onion, and carrot.
- Give it one final mix and then turn the slow cooker on.
- Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours, or on LOW for 6-8 hours
If necessary, you may want to thicken up with some corn flour and cold water. Serve with rice or mashed potato.