My husband and his family have been making fried rice for a long time, so when I first met him I was introduced to it (my parents made it way different). Not only is it easy, but it’s a great meal to have when you want to have a meat-free night.
We usually use day old rice – which is apparently better to make the fried rice. HOWEVER you can use freshly cooked rice too. If you wanted to use day old rice, simply cook it in the morning (or the night before) and refrigerate until you need it.
- 3 cups cooked rice (which is 1 cup of uncooked rice)
- OPTIONAL: 4 x Chinese Sausage (you can get this from your local Asian Supermarket) – you’ll need to cook these in with the rice before you cook the Fried Rice recipe
- 2 TBSP peanut oil (if you don’t have this, regular oil is fine)
- 3-4 eggs, beaten (depending on how much egg you want in with it)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen mixed veggies (thaw them first)
- 3 TBPS soy sauce
- Preheat a large pan (or wok) to medium.
- Pour the peanut oil, and once heated, add the onion, and mixed veggies.
- Fry until tender.
- Remove to a bowl on the bench.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the pan and scramble them.
- Once cooked, mix the eggs with the vegetable mix and cut up Chinese Sausage.
- Add the cooked rice to the veggie and egg mixture.
- Pour the soy sauce on top.
- Stir and fry the rice and veggie mixture until heated through and combined.