CANSTOCK.COM / MARIA
Spring Cleaning: Mould Removal
Spring signifies the warming of the seasons, as we head towards summer. Both spring and “springtime” also refer to ideas of rebirth, rejuvenation, renewal, resurrection and regrowth. This makes “Spring Cleaning” appropriate – as it’s a time rejuvenate our house – to clean it.
With that in mind, I’ve been thinking about mould. The disgusting stuff that ends up in the bathroom, on the ceilings, even in the bedrooms on the walls. When moulds and fungi reproduce, they release tiny spores that can become airborne. Health problems can arise when large numbers of these spores are inhaled, ingested or come into contact with the skin.
Our house is a 1970’s house, and it gets damp very easily. By the end of winter, if I don’t keep on top of it, it can get pretty disgusting.
Having a child with asthma means I have to be diligent about keeping the mould away, so here is a natural way to get rid of mould using DYC White Vinegar:
By using vinegar, you can not only remove the mould, but help to stop it coming back. As I have found, the secret is in waiting for the vinegar to penetrate the mould.
As I’ve said above, mould is bad for your health, so do wear gloves and a mask to protect yourself from mould spores.
WHAT YOU NEED:
DYC White Vinegar
An empty, clean, spray bottle
1. The best results occur when you heat your DYC White Vinegar to boiling
2. Carefully pour the boiling vinegar into a spray bottle
3. Liberally spray the surface with vinegar and give a light scrub to help remove mould
4. Allow the vinegar to penetrate under the top surface of the mould – leave for a couple of hours
5. If the vinegar dries out, just reapply
6. After a few hours, scrub and wipe away the mould with a cloth
7. Get a clean cloth and then spray vinegar onto it – giving the surface a final wipe down
If you’re like me and want to spend less time and effort looking after your home, join the Clever Living Club. With my promo code HMHC, you’ll automatically be sent a Spring Cleaning Guide; then each month you’ll be sent tried and tested tips to save you money and time, and use fewer chemicals in your home – WIN!
Thanks to DYC for making this post possible, and making my house less mouldy!
The kind folks over at DYC have kindly given me five amazing prize packs to give away! Each pack contains a $50 Countdown Voucher, and a DYC spray bottle and cloth.
- LIKE Happy Mum Happy Child on Facebook
- COMMENT on this blog post telling me if you’d like to win!
- EXTRA ENTRIES can be obtained by liking / commenting back on THIS FACEBOOK POST
- Would love you to tag all of your friends, and share the post – however it is not mandatory
- All comments will be counted as extra entries
Closes 30th October at 10pm. Normal T&C’s apply. Open to NZ residents only – sorry everyone else!